Monday, July 16, 2012

UPCYCLED: DIY Glitter Heels

So I got these shoes from a thrift store for three dollars. They were in perfect condition, minus the tiny, yet visible, scuffs on the heels. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, and then I decided it was. But come on, three dollars? There is no way I could pass that up. So I researched, and this is what I came up with. I've seen tons of tutorials for this but none of the ones I read told you how to keep the glitter from falling off. But never fear, I figured it out!
Materials Needed: Shoes (old or new), Mod Podge, Glitter, Paintbrush, Sandpaper.

Step One: Sand down the bottom of your shoes. The glitter will stick better to a rough surface. Most tutorials forgot to mention this too. Brush the Mod Podge on where ever you want the glitter to be. 

Step Two: Pour the glitter onto the Mod Podge. Simple.

Step Three: Continue this process with any other part of the shoe. I choose the little part by the toe. Let the shoes dry completely. I waited overnight.

Step Four (not pictured): After the shoes are completely dry, put another thick coat of Mod Podge on over the glitter. This will seal the glitter and keep it from coming off all over the place when you walk.

Disclaimer: I realized afterwards that Mod Podge is water soluble, meaning that once it gets wet, it will be ineffective, basically. You could also use regular Elmers glue to seal the glitter. If you use that method, make sure to use a glue that will dry clear. Or you could just not wear the shoes in the rain. 
xoxo. Leesha.

No comments:

Post a Comment