Monday, July 9, 2012

UPCYCLED: DIY Plastic Storage


Hi there! So I found these old storage drawers in my garage that my family wasn't using anymore. I've been needing some of these to take to college with me since I KNOW I wont have enough closet space. But this one, since it was old, was really dirty so I decided to cover up the clear plastic with some cute floral fabric to match mine and my roommates dorm room. This is how I did it, enjoy! (:

Materials Needed: Plastic Storage Drawers, Coordinating fabrics, Mod Podge, Scissors, and a Paintbrush. I used coordinating floral fabrics that were just lying around my house. You can use any kind of fabric in any kind of pattern you want! The possibilities are endless. 

Steps as pictured: 1. Cut your fabric to the shape of your drawer. I only covered the front of the drawer because I didn't want it to get ruined when sliding the drawers in and out. Makes sense, yeah? I advise leaving a little extra room around the edges in case of error. 2. Cut a slit the size of the handle into the fabric. This way you will still be able to use the handle and the fabric wont be bunched up. 3. Cover the front of the drawer with Mod Podge, put the fabric on top, and cover with Mod Podge again. I used about 2-3 layers of Mod Podge just to be safe. 4. Let the drawers dry in the sun. Trim excess fabric off the edges after COMPLETELY dry.

Side Note: Make sure to take any stickers off the drawers before covering them. The Mod Podge makes the fabric more transparent than usual and as you can see, my sticker is still visible. Oops. (:






No comments:

Post a Comment