Friday, October 19, 2012

Triple Threat Apple Pie

It's no secret that I love pie. Like... I Love Pie. My favorite is Apple Pie. I could eat Apple Pie all day, everyday. However, I know some people can get really bored of just plain apple pie, so I've come up with a solution: The Ultimate-Triple-Threat-Apple-Pie. Two extra layers of crust and a splash of Bourbon? Yes, please.

I make my own crust. It tastes delicious and I'm just so used to making it now that I don't even consider anything else.

One double pie crust: two cups of flour, two sticks of cold butter, one pinch of salt, two tablespoons of cold water.

IN A BOWL combine the flour and salt, stir for a couple seconds or so until its well mixed. Next, cut up your butter into tablespoon sized pieces. Follow the marks on the wrapper. Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. You can use a food processor if you have one, but I just use my hands. Once the mixture is crumbly, slowly pour in the water evenly. Mix until a dough forms; work this into a ball. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Before you use it, let it set out for a couple minutes to soften back up.

Second layer of crust: 10 graham cracker squares, one-fourth cup of melted butter

IN A LARGE PLASTIC BAGGIE, crush the graham crackers into crumbs. Add the butter and stir. Layer on top of the pie crust.

Third layer of crust: Mixed nuts of choice.

Chop up the nuts with a food processor or a manual nut chopper. Layer on top of the graham cracker crumbs.

 Ultimate-Triple-Threat-Apple-Pie Filling (enough for one pie): two sour apples, two-third cups of brown sugar, three tablespoons of cornstarch, one-half teaspoon of cinnamon, one-fourth teaspoon of salt, one-eighth teaspoon of nutmeg, one teaspoon of Bourbon Whiskey, one-half cup of apple butter.

SLICE APPLES to whatever size you desire, and layer on top of the nuts. In a small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the apples.

Once your pie is put together, finish it off with the top crust. You can lattice the crust, or just do a normal top crust. I chose to lattice. If you choose not to lattice, make sure you cut a few slits in the top so air can escape during baking. Bake your pie at 375 until golden brown; about 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment