Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cranberry Granola

I have a very strange obsession with granola. I just love it. I eat it on yogurt, or with milk and sliced bananas. Mmm... However, I'm also obsessed with being able to make things that would cost me an arm and leg at the supermarket. I found, and failed at making a few different recipes. So I eventually just put all the recipes together, adjusted the baking time and I finally got it right.

What you need: Two and two-thirds cup of old fashioned oats, one half cup of ground flax seed, one half cup of bran cereal, one half cup of chopped nuts, one half teaspoon of salt, three tablespoons of brown sugar, two tablespoons of maple syrup, one fourth cup of honey, one third cup of olive oil, one teaspoon of ground cinnamon, one teaspoon of nutmeg, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, two thirds cup of dried cranberries

Step One: Stir together oats, flax seed, nuts, bran cereal in a medium sized bowl. In a saucepan, bring salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to a boil.
Step Two: Pour mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly onto a lined baking sheet. You can line it with parchment or aluminum foil.
Step Three: Bake at 325 degrees until crispy and toasted, about 15-20 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. This is a very common mistake and I did it many many times. Stir halfway through baking time. Cool, then stir in the cranberries before storing in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment